Riss + Jon | Berkeley, California | Bay Area Wedding Photographer
Riss and Jon. These two wild, beautiful spirits put their trust in me and flew me across the country to photograph their wedding. I’m so honored that my first time on the West Coast was to capture a beyond-perfect wedding day.
Things may not have gone as perfectly as planned, but they embraced it. Muddy trails from nonstop rain meant having the bridesmaids run around in boots. Moving the ceremony indoors made for an even more intimate experience for guests.
Even when The Brazilian Room — nestled in Berkeley Hills — lost power before the ceremony, there was a sense of total calm in the venue. Vendors put their heads together and came up with backup plans, just in time for the power to kick back on for the ceremony.
Some of my favorite moments:
- Following the echoes of hysterical laughter to locate the hotel room where friends were getting ready.
- Driving an emotional Jon to the first look, where he nervously adjusted his tie and looked so damn excited to finally see Riss.
- When ze let out a shaky “whew” while holding him during portraits.
- How ze had his initials embroidered on the back of zir custom made gown as “something blue.”
- The Parks and Rec references in their vows. Their vows…so beautiful, raw, and hilarious.
- A killer, improvised first dance to “I Believe in a Thing Called Love” by The Darkness.
- Two sets of parents who obviously love their children so, so dearly — they made me think of my own daughter getting married one day, resulting in many tears during the joint parent dances.
- When friends wore glittery bootie shorts under tearaway pants to surprise the couple with a double lap dance.
- The open mic-style toasts during dinner from friends and family. Kudos to the punny friend who actually lit a piece of bread on fire, to make a proper toast. Also, when their friend Rose did an impression of a fly by wearing a bra on her head during her toast. She nailed it.
- Exchanging laughs (and cupcakes!) with Cera and her awesome crew of coordinators. Wrapping the night up with Florence + The Machine’s cover of Stand By Me.
- The drive home, down the steep and winding hills of Berkeley, listening to the sound of rain patter on my car.
I’m so grateful to have had the chance to see Riss and Jon again. We originally met when Riss was part of Alli & Dan’s bridal party, so it was a reunion of sorts. I have so much love for these people, their friends, and family. And all of the vendors who came together to make magic happen, even in the rain.
getting ready: Bancroft Hotel, Berkeley, CA // ceremony + reception: The Brazilian Room, Berkeley, CA // hair: Rose Hamlet // makeup: Sara Maselli // wedding gown: custom made by Mary Hogue of Mission Praxis // catering: Serves You Right Catering // officiant: Walker Davis // cupcakes: James and the Giant Cupcake // wedding coordinator & florist: Cera Singley Events // DJ: Quantum Party Productions // Videography: Creative Cinema